Re: mainstreaming special ed into art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 17:00:16 -0400

Hi --
In our K-5 school the special ed kids are mainstreamed -- the kids
classified as having learning disabilities are usually able to complete the
work successfully (sometimes More successfully!). There are also kids with
more severe disabilities who are mainstreamed in to all our specials. If
their IEP specifies that they have a 1-on-1 aide then by law (I believe)
the aide should be accompanying them to specials. Most times the aides
actually "do" the work for the child but explain it and coach the child
along (I tell ya, some of these aides are worth their weight in gold, and
yet they get paid peanuts...) Then there are those kids with disabilities
not severe enough to have a 1-on-1 aide but who have trouble staying on
task or doing the work successfully. In those cases it's a judgment call
for me. Is the social interaction enough? (I can think of one of my 4th
graders who seems to sometimes attempt the work, seems pleased with his
results but most of the time is really into the social interaction. I
feel, after discussion with his teacher, that that is a satisfactory goal
for him). Are the disruptions severe? (If so I write down notes about the
behavior and my concerns and discuss it with the teacher. Sometimes they
can make their "classroom aide" -- one not assigned to a particular child
-- available to help out Sometimes the classroom teacher is using behavior
modification programs with the kids so that might be able to be adopted in
the special classes). If a child is frustrated then sometimes I ask a
"regular" student to help out, or I let them know that what they are doing
is meeting the objective. Grades are not an issue for the kids with more
severe disabilities. And this is elementary level. Not sure about middle
school and high school. On the whole I feel everyone benefits from having
these kids mainstreamed in as long as concerns can be addressed
successfully!
Liz in rural NY