Re: mainstreaming special ed into art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 05:34:15 -0700

Artemis420 wrote:

> In a message dated 4/8/99 10:23:32 PM EST, scurfield writes:
>
> << What do you think of the practice of mainstreaming kids into my art
> class "so that they can have interaction with their peers"? <snip>
>

> Sounds like the old story of using art as a dumping ground and warehouse for
> other problems. <snip>

At this point I don't think we have enough information about the
situation to decide that that's the case. How many Sp.Ed. kids? What
level? What are the assignments? What adaptations has the art teacher
tried already? Has the art teacher discussed with their teacher the best
way to handle this?

Mainstreaming can be very successful and a win/win situation for all
involved. It's not always a case of the Big Bad Sp.Ed. teachers dumping
20 kids in the art room.

Maggie