Re: jewelry

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Fri, 09 Apr 1999 09:01:35 -0500

Bob Lange wrote:

> I am looking for the process used to create multi-layered,
> multi-colored construction paper jewelry.
>
> Bob, in the middle of nowhere

Now, Bob! Nowhere has to be SOMEwhere! I have never made the paper
jewelry to which you refer but know people who have. They had their
students design a simple organic shape and choose a color scheme. Then
they cut the same shape out of 12 to 18 layers of paper. Stack the
layers (use 2 - 3 layers per color) gluing them together with Elmer's
glue and making sure to glue all the way to the edges on every layer.
(Example: 2 pieces each of black, light brown, and dark brown, then
repeat.) When this is dry, use an emery board to sand around all the
edges of the piece to reveal form and layers of color. Paint finished
piece with a couple coats of Mod Podge and add findings (pin backs, jump
rings...). I have also see similar "jewels" made from chunks of paint
salvaged from the spray booths of auto body repair places. These paint
chunks are already layered because they are always spray painting
different colored cars, sometimes with beautiful metallic automotive
paint colors. They make very interesting forms layered with subtle
colors and - best of all - are free!
Linda in Michigan

P.S. Welcome, Mary from Detroit (my native stomping grounds) and Vicky
from Muskegon. I'm a regular at the DIA, too!