From: JIH6294.edu <JIH6294.edu>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Tuesday, April 06, 1999 11:52 PM
Subject: basic studio art lesson

Hello there.. This is the first time I am posting a message on the artnet.
This quarter I am doing my student teaching experience as part of my RIT art
education requirement. So far it is great. I am still working on my
management skills in the classroom. I am hearing impaired teaching in a
hearing environment and my weakness in the area of teaching is how to
breakdown
a project into smaller lessons.
*******************
Developing lessons into units allows for an easier breakdown of lessons into
class periods. If you design a unit to study color and painting, one class
can be using artists prints for aesthetic scanning and discovery with
discussion. The next period might be drawing with the teacher demonstrating
first to model problem solving by "thinking out loud" and verbally figuring
out what you're doing. Follow that with them drawing. It's fun to hear
them "thinking out loud" and sharing their ideas. They encourage each other
and help each other problem solve. The next class, you might demonstrate
painting briefly before they begin painting. Good time to introduce brush
control skills, color mixing, etc.. You'd probably have to continue
painting at least one more class. This breakdown of the process might
depend upon the number of times per week you'd have their class. You can
incorporate a reflection period during one class by having a sharing session
to tell what they learned, what they found interesting, what they would like
to try.
If you meet a class only once a week, you might develop a theme and build
lessons to fit the theme, such as "Be a famous artist" and develop a lesson
to introduce students to the artist and create a product to reflect what
they've learned. I have done this sort of thing with first graders up and
it always works well.

This will be quite a challenge for me in
communiating my expectations of them.
I have one question concerning sign language within the art room. How much
is
too much? Is it best to casually introduce sign language to them as I talk
with them? This is my concern that I will overwhelm them too much.

*****************
First be candid with the students, explaining what it is, how it happened,
and how you have adapted to it. Let them ask questions, show them sign
language, explain the logic of the gestures and teach them simple phrases in
sign, like Hello, please and thank you. If you would normally use sign
language at the same time you speak, continue to do so. This can only
enrich their experience if you are not self concious about it. American
Sign Language is a second language and learned more readily by younger
children. Children use gestures naturally, and the use of sign should help
reinforce their learning visually and kinesthetically. Go for it!!

I am doing a watercolor/collage project with my basic studio art students.
First I am having them cut out images from magazines and creating a
compostion
within a 12 by 18 inch space. After that they will put aside their
compostion
while they experiencement with watercolor techniques and collage techniques.
The school has a block system so I'll be teaching each class for an hour and
half duration. They meet everyday for that time. My question I am trying
work out is how many days should I have them experienment with watercolors
and
how do I gradually introduce collage when they are ready to move on.

*************
If you are doing experiments with watercolor, you don't necessarily have to
focus on subject, but may focus more on effect. How about saving their
watercolors and having them create collages with those?

My spelling is awful right now. There's no spell check on this computer. I
am
writing this at 10pm on my way home from RIT. I would appreicate any help
you
care to offer.

Thanks

Judy Harney