Re: lung disease (bird doo)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
San D Hasselman (kprs)
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 09:25:39 -0400

I posted to the person who asked the question initially about the
feathers being dangerous, but now that Teri added this about the lung
infection of the cat I will repost what I had written.

At my school we had an ancient substitute teacher who fed the pigeons in
our parking lot for over 15 years. (believe it or not his life was saved
by a carrier pigeon in WWII and he made a pack with G*d that if he
survived he would feed pigeons forever, he did). Much to the chagrin of
all of the teachers whose cars were 'blessed' by the pigeons each day.
One of our teachers, who was l year shy of retiring, came down with a
lung disease where the lining of her lungs disintegrated. As this was
an odd disease, her doctors experiemented with her, and the medicine
they gave her, destroyed the bones in her spine..thus rendering her
unable to stand all day. When she was being diagnosed, her doctors
asked her if she was ever exposed to bird doo...and she told them about
pigeon man. The board of education gave her the extra time she needed
in order that she could retire and get medical coverage.

San D

Teri Sanford wrote:

> I just had a pretty young kitten (about 6 months old) die of a
> viral lung infection. We got the kitten from a girl at my
> husband's place of work, so we don't know what she may have been
> exposed to, but the vet said the infection is caused by
> overexposure to bird &/or bat dung. So be careful. It was a
> painful way for her to die, very sad. Luckily I was holding
> her, stroking her little body when she breathed her last breath.
>
> sorry to bring everyone down, just be careful with birds!
>
> teri

  • Reply: R. Moore: "Re: Re: Doors, Entrances, Gates, etc."