RE: collecting feathers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marianna delafield (mdelafield)
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 08:28:49 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Ann Weaver [SMTP:aweaver]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 1999 6:17 AM
To: LMiller435; artsednet; Ann Weaver
Subject: Re: collecting feathers

It's interesting that my current issue of Audubon(March-April 1999) has a
question about feathers that I read just this morning. I knew I had to have the
[marianna delafield] I have used feathers in my work, and I urge you to beware: Sometimes these birds, beautiful that they are, have mites and you need to be sure that they are killed, even the eggs, before you begin to use them. I brought peacock feathers into the house to use in a wool basket that I had made; hand spun wool, onion and overdyed indigo dye. The mites, which couldn't be seen became moths, and I didn't know where they were coming from. When I finally discovered the source they had devoured the basket and had started to eat the glue in the binding of my grandfathers bible. When you bring fathers in it was suggested to me that you put Borax (twenty mule team) and table salt in a plastic bag and hang them for a couple weeks in the garage or somewhere out of the house and out of the way. I have since done this many times with pheasant skins and it works. No more problems with small flying things. yuck !!! Marianna