Re: collecting feathers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ann Weaver (aweaver)
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 07:17:21 -0400

It's interesting that my current issue of Audubon(March-April 1999) has a
question about feathers that I read just this morning. I knew I had to have the
salvage permit, but no information came with it that told what I've quoted
below. (I would not have known about the salvage permit if not told about it in
a NC State Museum of Natural Science workshop). The article states,

"Possessing a plume from nearly any bird species in the United States is verboten
- even if you just happened to discover it lying on the ground, and even if it
was shed in the normal course of molting. Most birds, save a few nonnative ones
like starlings and house sparrows, are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty
Act, which makes it illegal to kill them or possess any of their body parts.
The maximum penalty for possession of feathers, a misdemeanor, is six months in
prison and a $5,000 fine. If you sell items containing such feathers, you're
asking for more trouble: You could be charged with a felony, spend two years in
jail, and face a fine of $250,000. If you continue to use feathers in your
crafts, stick to those from domestic fowl, such as chickens and turkeys, or from
game birds that you have legally hunted, such as ducks and pheasants. If you
need further clarification , call the nearest state or federal fish and wildlife
agency."
ann in nc

From: Ann Weaver <aweaver>

Here in NC people must obtain a salvage permit to collect feathers, bird nests,
even dead animals for stuffing. I applied for one for our school and received it
so that we can legally collect such items. Right now we are having an owl
stuffed (one that was found dead, stuck in a fence). What is the procedure in
other states?