RE: student self evaluation - long

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 13:12:59 -0400

I used the faces for my 8th graders too - sometimes for a pre-test (actually
just an inventory - assessing prior knowledge, vocabulary etc... the 'what
do you know stage' - smile for "know the term and can use it', straight for
'heard it, but that's it', frown for 'never heard it before'...)
You could have a journal entry each day - it could be specific (record of
what I accomplished today, problems I ran into and how I solved them, what I
learned...?) or open subject related to the activity -

What is it that you want the sheets to do? If you want them to rate only,
what would you do with their responses?
Do you want to learn more about their creative thought process? Experience
with analyzing their own work?
For my middle school students, I have them complete a self evaluation for
larger projects or at the end of a six week period - but I am re-evaluating
that myself - there is no time for feedback or questioning on my part if
they are out the door.
This year I am using a (fractal) format of what the National Board process
asks for... Describe, analyze and reflect...
Here is an example of a writing assignment for my sculpture unit - the
students completed one after each project... still in development...

Draw four views of your sculpture...
Describe the task (list materials, tools, procedures) Analyze the process (What decisions did you have to make? Give examples of
three. What choices did you make and why? What part did your knowledge of
the elements and principles of art play in making your decisions? Did you
think about texture, movement, balance, space, unity and contrast to name a
few?) Reflect on the process and product. What would you do differently? What
judgments can you make about your piece? Was it successful? What do you
like about it? Did you see something in someone else's work that you could
apply to your work?

and "Create a rubric or scoring guide for the project. Score your piece."

At the end of their 6 weeks:

"From defining sculpture to learning about different processes, terms,
techniques and points of view, you have completed several projects in our
sculpture unit. Analyze your growth as a sculptor over time. How has your understanding of
the sculpture process changed? What are some things that you have become
more aware of after completing the projects? What was successful for you as
a student? What material or process did you enjoy working with? What
limitations did you discover? What are the benefits of becoming a 3 -
dimensional thinker? What connections have you made? How can you apply
your newfound knowledge?"

I was reluctant to try this with the 8th grade I have right now - but I have
been very pleased with their responses. I feel that I have learned a lot
from their responses.
Part of Kentucky's testing requires written responses, our questions in the
past have been in a different format - open response based on content.

Ellen