Re: Meaning and Artist's Intention

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
R. Moore (ronmoore)
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 16:37:35 -0800 (PST)

Mary's idea of a period meal to go with one's experience of historical
study sounds intriguing. And it caused me to remember something I hadn't
thought about for about thirty years--the Roman Banquet we had to cap off
the year in our Latin Class. I thought it was a hoot. And we actually
did learn something about Roman customs, poetry, food, etc. It did not, I
am happy to say, turn out like the notorious Toga Party of Animal House.
You might think about ways to have feasts or festivals in which many
aspects of a culture are celebrated and indulged in as a way of
crystalizing some of the arts experiences students should have. There is
a nice curriculum unit on CELEBRATIONS, or some such rubric, in the Getty
DBAE Curriculum Sampler, as I recall.
Ron