SCarl49932 <SCarl49932>: computers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
bob carl (bcarl28)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 06:54:40 -0400

dear folks...I thought we all needed a laugh. Sometimes we
take ourselves too serious...i'm guiltier than most.
enjoy.................

From: SCarl49932 <SCarl49932>
To: cheryl144, WITHAMT,
RSTANLEY,Sarah_Smart, Missyamee,
MARTAY,KnKd, MKemper608, MAGNAW,
Wayne1126,JUDIERICKSON,
Photoisme,jaellio.mil, bcarl28,
Jakensis,ganderson
Subject: computers
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 02:20:23 EDT

As you are aware, ships have long been characterized as being female
(e.g.,
"Steady as she goes" or "She's listing to starboard,
Captain!") And now for the question of the day; Is your computer 'male'
or
'female'? You decide!
Recently, a group of computer scientists (all male) announced that
computers should also be referred to as being female. Their reasons
for drawing this conclusion follows:

Five reasons to believe computers are female:
1. No one but the Creator understands their internal logic.
2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is
incomprehensible to everyone else.
3. The message "Bad command or file name" is about as informative as, "If
you
don't know why I'm mad at you, then I'm certainly not going to tell
you."
4. Even your smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for later
retrieval.
5. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending
half
your paycheck on accessories for it.

However, another group of computer scientists (all female) think that
computers should be referred to as if they were male. Their reasons:

Five reasons to believe computers are male:
1. They have a lot of data, but are still clueless.
2. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they
ARE
the problem.
3. As soon as you commit to one you realize that, if you had waited a
little
longer, you could have obtained a better model.
4. In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on.
5. Big power surges knock them out for the rest of the night.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]