Re: embossing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ruth Voyles (rvoyles)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 22:26:15 -0400

Hi Lee:

Your rummage sale find sounds Great!

I have done the process in a variety of different ways. If I am doing it
for myself, I use flat (unmounted) battleship linoleum and cut away the
design as if doing a linoleum cut. Then I run it through the press like I
would a print, only I do no ink the plate. The results are great and it
does not stick.

With children I have had the best results with chipboard layered on a base
piece. If you have enough time to let the plates dry completely, Elmer's
glue works fine to adhere and if completely dry will not stick when you go
to pull the prints.

If you do not have time to let it dry completely, just have the children
place the chipboard in the layers on the base, put wet sheet on top and run
through the press. The design will change slightly each time you put it
through, but the kids seem to like that and enjoy adding to the design.

I have also done had the kids "draw" with Elmer's glue on a based piece and
let it dry completely. Then you can use that to create embossings. I have
good luck with both.

Ruth Voyles
Family Center and
Early Childhood Education Supervisor