=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_mother=B4s_day_project?=

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ruth Voyles (rvoyles)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 22:19:29 -0400

Hi Rosa:

The Family Center is an interactive, hands on play space and attached art
studio for families to enjoy in the Toledo Museum of Art. It is designed
to introduce the youngest visitors and their parents to the museum in a
warm and non-threatening environment. We target children and their adult
companions ages 3-10, but often get older children. Our Early Childhood
classes are also held in the space, as is the Friday night Drop In Studio
sessions.

In the family center there is a dramatic play corner with costumes, jewelry
and hats, a puppet stage and puppets, alot of different kinds of puzzles,
blocks and other creative experiences. There are also hands-on activities
related to works of art in the galleries. There is a reading corner, a
nature center and always a variety of media available for creative
exploration as dictated by the child.

Every two months is a different theme, which related to things in the
collection, specific artists or art media and techniques, or special
exhibitions. Every week we explore different art activities, and gallery
games and hunts which relate to the theme. Once a month we have an artist
demonstration and media exploration. I have currently have a fiber artist
in residence who comes in and works during Family Center open hours. I
hope to have a printmaker do a residency next.

I think it is the most wonderful place in the Museum. But then, I am a
little biased.

Ruth Voyles
Family Center and
Early Childhood Education Supervisor