Re: Mainstreaming

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stenger - Judith DiSalvo (jstenger)
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 08:21:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Ann,

Thank you for your reply. I taught seriously disturbed adolescents in a
special school for twelve years before returning to regular ed, and I can
tell you--all the training in the world wouldn't make as much difference
as a teaching assistant. The reason our alternative program worked was
because of the support we could always count on. I guess that's just too
big an expense for 'regular" programs. I agree that this understaffing is
unhealthy and unsafe for all the kids. And once again--the middle of the
road, average, everyday kids get so little attention when others' needs
are so very urgent. Mainstreaming is important for all kids, but with
support staff and behavior management training.

Judy