Re: Watercolor

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 02:00:31 -0400

When I was in college and that was in '79-'83,I went to an Art college
and there was only one Woman Instructor there.(she even looked insane)
She was an animator,but even she worked in Foundations not in one of the
departments. Then later when I was in painting Dept. we had a visiting
Woman Painter who taught a semester in my dept.( oh I take it back I
forgot about Fiber- Jane Lackey taught there but left to teach at
Cambridge). I hope things have changed in school. This is kinda what I
was trying to get at when I PO'd people by asking if there were any
woman teaching in college or if they were just in k-12th.
I remember seeing a debate on TV awhile ago where there was a
discussion about jobs and basically the man asked what the woman did for
a living and she said an Artist,then when they were in a heated debate
he insulted her by saying she just sat at home drawing little pictures
and watching tv as though she wasn't valid. Why do men get more respect
then women in Art, or why are they more valid artists?
I'm not implying that they are.

Sandra
Mike Keller wrote:

> > Western art has argued - since the beginning - whether sculpture or
> > painting is BEST.
> > But, the least valued art in the traditional hierarchy is art traditionally
> > made by women, such as needlework, quilts, china painting,
> > flower-paintings, pastel-drawing and watercolor.
>
> So has Jansen (sp) ever added female artists to the classic Art History text
> History of Art in the Western World? (I think that's the title, but you get the
> idea) When I studied Art History, the only female artists we studied were
> unknown African potters and weavers.
>
> Michael Keller
> Old and New Media

  • Reply: carla schiller: "Re: Watercolor"