Re: Watercolors

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maahmaah (Maahmaah)
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 11:57:18 EDT

--part0_893433438_boundary

From: "Tim Gourley" <TimGourley>
To: <Maahmaah>
Subject: Watercolors
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 19:04:54 -0400

You are probably aware of him already, but just in case - Winslow Homer i=
s a=0Afabulous watercolor painter. The story goes that he switched later=
in life to=0Awatercolors as a primary medium, not merely a preliminary s=
ketch tool. Unlike=0AAlbrecht Durer (whose watercolors are so incredibly=
meticulous), Homer had a=0Avery loose style and maybe this would encoura=
ge your students rather than=0Aintimidate them.
Good luck. I teach watercolors to HS kids and it is definately a laborio=
us=0Aprocess for everyone involved. Maybe too mechanical for you, but I =
do stress=0Aa very basic step by step approach; building up layers from l=
ight to dark,=0Apainting in large areas first, etc.
Getting them to see the white of the paper as a more beautiful white than=
the=0Aone from the box is always a challenge.

Scott G.

You are probably aware of him already, but just in ca= se - Winslow Homer is a fabulous watercolor painter.  The story goes that= he switched later in life to watercolors as a primary medium, not merely a preliminary sketch tool.  Unlike Albrecht Durer (whose watercolors a= re so incredibly meticulous), Homer had a very loose style and maybe this would= encourage your students rather than intimidate them.
Good luck.  I teach watercolors to HS kids and i= t is definately a laborious process for everyone involved.  Maybe too=0Am= echanical for you, but I do stress a very basic step by step approach; building up= =0Alayers from light to dark, painting in large areas first, etc.
Getting them to see the white of the paper as a more= =0Abeautiful white than the one from the box is always a challenge.

Scott G.
--part0_893433438_boundary--