Re: Metapec Suns

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 11:44:17 -0400

These can also be made. I'm sure you know how. Traditionally you may
find different masks at international gift stores etc. They are made
from coconuts and then clay is added to them.When dried they are
painted. The same can be achieved in plaster as well. I've even done it
with Sandcasts as a goodbye gift for each child in my son's class when
he was in preschool. By the way has anybody introduced traditional
Mexican animal carving to kids. You could use a variety of material
with kids if you don't use wood. Crayola puts out an expensive product
called Model Magic,which is easy to use and light weight. If not you an
use clay(self hardening or baked) soap,wax,plaster, wood,etc. Basically
look at the different types of animals which have been carved as an
example, after kids have made the shapes of animals,paint and decorate
then glaze or varnish finished project.
I understand you were discussing "Metapec Suns" I just thought this
related as well.