Re: lesson

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:01:04 -0400

I don't know if you've tried this but I use the same material you are
describing to do sculpture.
We start with a styrofoam base. They add recycled material,cardboard
rolls styrofoam popcorn,telephone wire,buttons,foil,string anything
which attaches and some get really tall others grow out. First we look
at modern sculpture. I taught this in a museum where we walked around
first. You can use slides,prints or books. There was a box of all kinds
of material scraps from many projects.
Separate by color,texture or objects put on a table. Have toothpicks,
paper clips ,wire and string for attachments.
Give each child a meat tray and a block base.
Have one table go up at a time to fill their tray.
We didn't have a criteria back then. Except no glue.

I can think one up though:

Criteria:
May not use glue or another adhesive.
Has to be self-sustaining.
Must either grow up or out.
Must use at least 4 different shapes and textures.
Must also rotate piece and work on all sides.

added criteria:
Set a time limit.
May include moveable parts.
May include reflective parts.
Documentation of work
The writing of a proposal for installation to a city of choice.

Another option:
Other inventions made with found or recycled material.

Hope this helps,
Sandra