Re: Introduction - Don't read if an Art Educator Purist!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:50:32 -0500

klmajor wrote:

> I'm curious: What type of work do you do to pull in parent advocates for
> your programs? How can parents help the art educators in expanding programs
> beyond the obvious funding support (which will be much stronger for my
> children's school now that I know more...).?
>
> Kieran
Kieran,
We have an art booster group made up of teachers (from all different
schools, and programs), parents, community volunteers and art groups.
>From our experiences (and we are just starting) I recommend the
following.
1. Have a formal or informal art booster group that can act as advocates
to the school board
2. Find out from all teachers what they need to increase arts in all
areas of the schools and work with them.
3. Unite all the arts. Do not let "THEM"* divide you (Here in Texas
music is the last art cut - Because You cannot have a FOOTBALL GAME
without a marching band. No mention of the importance of the music, but
if we can use it we will)
4. Find out what the arts groups in your community are doing to promote
art education and invite them into the schools - There are lots of
grants for joint projects between community groups and schools to start
programs. I have to say our group did not wait to get invited, we've
been banging on the doors the new supertendant opened them for us.

*"THEM" - People who say "We didn't have all this extra stuff and we did
fine just teach them to read, rite, and rythmatic." UGH!

--
Kimberly Herbert
Children's Art Museum