Re: geometry

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Karen Hurt (khurt)
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:44:43 -0400 (EDT)

At 08:10 PM 4/20/98 +0000, you wrote:
>hello, I am looking for some practicle lessonplans incorporating
>geometry and art. Does any one have a suggestion?

Quilting! Learning to enlarge triangles while keeping the same proportions
is a challenge. I've done glue-on quilting with wall-paper scraps, and sewn
projects with 2nd - 7th graders. Both were successful and not as easy as it
seems! There are lots of literature tie-ins such as the story the Rag Coat
or Dolly Parton's Coat of Many Colors story and song.

One quilt that I did with little kids was shape within a shape -- starting
with a 10 inch square, they had to figure out how to make and place another
smaller square on top in a diamond shape. Then place a third smaller square
in the center of the diamond to form to reveal four more triangles. Have
kids measure and plan on paper, then cut fabric with pinking sheers.
Instead of turning the edges, have them sew flat about 1/4 - 1/2 inch from
the edge. The squares can then be arranged on a larger piece of fabric, and
sewn to it with a machine. Raggedy, but easy for little ones -- and a neat
texture on the wall.

Karen Hurt

Grafton Library
Mary Baldwin College