Re: Impressionism

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ellyn Wenk (ellyn)
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 07:17:33 -0500

Collier Family wrote:

> carla schiller wrote:
> >
> > Nicki - I don't think it's appropriate to provide answers to
> questions you
> > are supposed to be researching (if I sound like a high school
> teacher, I
> > am!).
> > > This is not a response, but rather, a cry for help. I am
> > > a senior in high school doing research on impressionism
> > > for my senior project. I need a couple of questions
> > > answered.
> > >
> > > 1. How has impressionism affected modern life, in the art
> > > sense and beyond?
> > > 2. HOw did impressionism evolve?
> > > 3. Who were some of the most influential artists?
> > > 4. Are there any impressionist artists today?
> > > 5. Are there any people or sources you could refer me to
> > > that could benefit my research?
> > >

> Could asking questions like Nicki did not be part of the research
> process?
> When my kids were smaller they used ask me about all sorts of things.
> spoke to their respective teachers and she said that the process of
> asking is just as important as it is neccessary to know which
> questions
> to ask.
>
> I am sure this helped Nicki as she must have got a lot of info as well
>
> as being pointed in the right direction. We are all resources for
> subsequent generations.
>
> Now if I could figure out who to ask about the whereabouts of my car
> that got stolen I would be very happy
>
> Tracey in South Africa

Maybe if Nicki were to ask us one question , not her whole
assignment! Or offer us something too like this: I have been
researching how impressionism has affected modern life and I have
learned these things, then list her results 1, 2, 3, then say is there
anything else you might add to this for me. We will most likely then be
more than happy to share bits of our knowledge with her or other student
or student teachers if we feel they are actually actively engaged in
doing some reading of their own. Also we like to learn too.
I never respond to a question the way Nicki wrote it and I talked with
several other educators at the Getty reception in Chicago who feel the
same way. It is not that we don't want to help, we just do not want to
be the only source for their assignments. This is a give and take list
serve. We would like to learn what the students have gathered after
they get our ideas and put them into a paper also.