Re: Multi cultural art education

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fran Marze (fmaiu+@pitt.edu)
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 20:12:05 -0400 (EDT)

I have tried to teach Chinese painting and used various prompts, such as
slides; I teach a class called ARt Connections that focuses on different
cultures, periods and artists in an historical context. We also
occasionally produce some art. This year we studied both Chinese and
Japanese art as well as art of the Americas, etc. We did an oriental ink
painting and some were fairly good. The students found it hard, but at
least tried. I'm always looking for ideas. Also, last year I used the
oriental ink paintings as a project in Art I. We had some very good ones
then. I haven't done it this year. The students found it difficult at
times and we didn't do a "pure" painting but a simulated one using India
Ink and Chinese brushes and tried it on calligraphy "parchment."