Re: Combining Art & Music

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
mary bolyard (gregjuli)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 11:43:22 -0500

John & Sandra Barrick wrote:

> You know it's funny in all my talk about "Africa" I neglected to mention
> I played music during the lessons. I have an extensive collection on
> tape of modern as well as traditional music from all over Africa.

Sandy,It is nice to see other teachers use music to enhance their art lessons.
I have a collection of tapes and cds that I use to inspire and enlighten the
students. I don't play them all the time, but often when I don't, I have
students request the music. For example I have a cd of sounds of the rainforest
I use for my Rousseau lesson, Medieval music for doing Illuminated letters, or
Chinese flute music for Chinese calligraphy with bamboo brushes. I also like
to play classical or instrumental music from sound tracks.
I'm going to check out the Coltrane music for my 7th grade lesson on Jackson
Pollock and action painting.