Re: Combining Art & Music

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
mary bolyard (gregjuli)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 11:43:22 -0500

John & Sandra Barrick wrote:

> You know it's funny in all my talk about "Africa" I neglected to mention
> I played music during the lessons. I have an extensive collection on
> tape of modern as well as traditional music from all over Africa.

Sandy,It is nice to see other teachers use music to enhance their art lessons.
I have a collection of tapes and cds that I use to inspire and enlighten the
students. I don't play them all the time, but often when I don't, I have
students request the music. For example I have a cd of sounds of the rainforest
I use for my Rousseau lesson, Medieval music for doing Illuminated letters, or
Chinese flute music for Chinese calligraphy with bamboo brushes. I also like
to play classical or instrumental music from sound tracks.
I'm going to check out the Coltrane music for my 7th grade lesson on Jackson
Pollock and action painting.
MaryB.