Re: End of the year challenges

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 20:20:38 -0700

Gail1611 wrote:

> Hi Everyone, As I face the end of the year with huge art show, supplies to
> order, grades to do, clean up and organize the art room, I begin to wonder if
> I can ever get it all done and still teach. What have you all learned to get
> through this time period and do you have a tips to make it easier? Thanks for
> your help !

Gail,

When I'm feeling overwhelmed like this, I assign priority to those chores
that most directly affect the students. In your example, it sounds like
the art show will have to come first, followed by grading.

I don't know what grades you teach, but I'll bet a lot of the students
could do a quite a bit of your clean up and organizing. I teach HS, and
at the end of every messy unit (painting, ceramics, printmaking, etc.)
and on the last day of school we have a one-period clean up day.
Everyone must participate. I write all the chores that need to be done
on the board, and they keep cleaning 'til I'm satisfied. If they all
hustle, it takes about 20 minutes. Afterwards, they can go outside to
the basketball court and shoot around, go to the library, stay inside and
draw or read...It's sooo-oooo luxurious to have a clean room and no
students! ;) I assign the organizing chores to just 2-3 students who I
know will do it right.

Another thing I've learned over the years is which units to teach last,
which maintain their interest and keep them focused. You've probably
already seen the kinds of activities I mean.

For next year, I would suggest that instead of knocking yourself out at
the end of the year with a huge show, mount a small show every couple of
weeks; again, you can no doubt trust a couple of students to do this.
Print out name tags for every student you have at the beginning of the
year or semester and separate them by class so they're easy to get to.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Maggie**remove x in address to reply