Re: Combining Art & Music

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 23:27:30 -0400

You know it's funny in all my talk about "Africa" I neglected to mention
I played music during the lessons. I have an extensive collection on
tape of modern as well as traditional music from all over Africa.
Although it did disturb one child she was the only person who was
bothered by such ( and we compromised by playing it awhile for the rest
of class and turning it off for the rest of the period) I generally like
quiet(no sound) while working but in certain instances I played music.
Sometimes while discussing action painting I had Art Pepper or John
Coltrane playing. This is also good when doing gesture drawing. In one
exercise I have the kids start by placing their tool on the paper and
then closing their eyes,music starts and I ask them to keep moving
trying to emulate the music with the action in their wrist.
Another artist who listened to music was Stuart Davis. He was a Jazz
musician as well as a painter. Many of his paintings depicted Jazz
scenes. Very graphic type ,his paintings looked like painted collage.
He even had a stamp after one of his paintings. In one of the
assignments we made our own version of a "Stuart" influenced stamp.

Sandra