Re: Van Gogh and others;fwd on Monet

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Larry Cox (l_j_cox)
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 18:10:09 -0700

I, too, saw that Monet show and had the same reaction. I always go to
shows, no matter the crowd...I just am in my own little world...Linda
-----Original Message-----
From: Alix E. Peshette <apeshet>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Friday, April 17, 1998 10:35 AM
Subject: Van Gogh and others

Hi All,
It's been interesting following the thread about the Van Gogh
exhibition.

I went to the King Tut exhibition in San Francisco years ago and just
loved it, despite the cattle chute atmosphere. Just seeing the real
pieces, after seeing them in books for years, was a thrill. It was a
definite cultural event and I'm glad I went.

A couple of years ago, I went to see the Monet exhibition in San
Francisco and was amusingly disappointed. These pieces were from his
later years, (plagued by eyesight problems), were not the most well-known
pieces,
were poorly composed, had muddy colors and just hinted at the
grandeur and serenity seen in his earlier works. The best part of the
exhibition were the hugh color photographs of his garden.

The amusing part was realizing that even MONET had a 'B' collection in his
life long body of artwork. It gave me a comforting insight into my own
life-long body of artwork.

So, enjoying these blockbuster exhibitions might have a lot to do
with expectations, familiarity with the actual work exhibited and
just being happy with being part of a cultural event.

-Alix Peshette