Re: tissue paper landscape design

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Nancy Markowich (mikema89)
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:44:08 -0400

Lynda Brothers Matthew wrote:

> I'm doing a lesson tomorrow with both (2) 5th grades and (2) 1st grade
> classes using torn tissue paper glued onto white drawing paper. Have never
> tried this one before, but want to try to get them to except the technique.
> I guess with the young ones we'll try flowers or landscapes using shape and
> color. And with the older kids form and shapes overlapping. I've never
> tried this before (in fact this year all of my classes are untried and who
> knows how true, a lot of fun for me as I'm starting to get kids that have
> been with me for a few years now). Any lesson ideas using torn paper for
> this age group?
>
> Lynda
Lynda,
I just completed a wonderful tissue paper landscape design with 6th
graders. I showed them photographs of different landscapes and they
worked up preliminary designs on manila paper. I asked them to choose
three colors of tissue paper which they tore into shapes and overlapped
on heavy poster paper. With watered down elmer's glue they spread the
tissue paper with glue on top too.
We layered the tissue paper and added black construction paper for tree
trunks and matallic paper(copper, green or blue) for water or ground
area's. Black marker finished off the roots of trees and branches.
I saw this lesson in one of the art magazine's and thought it might be
fun. My six graders were very involved and we even added to this lesson
with cut-out animals. The only "problem" is organizing your materials
and making sure the students hold on to all the papers so they can use
the scraps. The floor is a mess, but what else is new! Hope this is
helpful, Nancy