Maggie White <mwhite>: Re: Van Gogh show

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
bob carl (bcarl28)
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 12:48:29 -0400

From: Maggie White <mwhite>
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: Van Gogh show
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:38:21 -0700

elwood p dowd wrote:

> Oh dear me...this Van Gogh show sounds like another blockbuster. It is
> nice to see so many people interested in art (or are they?)... but it's
like a
> hgerd of cattle trying to see the art over peoples heads and children
screaming..
> I think the public is being shammed by these colossals ........ they
are
> lead around like a bull with a gold ring in his nose......told what to
look
> at, what to like and what the "experts" tell them is "good" art. <snip>
(as we make
> fantastic fools of ourselves) ???

I have to disagree somewhat. While the reality of these "blockbuster"
shows may be obnoxious to the more educated art patron, they are bringing

in all kinds of people who would probably never set foot in a museum
otherwise. And yes, of course, these sweating masses need the
interpretative displays provided by museum educators. I wonder how many
of these first-timers get turned on to art and return to visit other
parts of the museum?

This is what my late, great mentor Vincent Lanier saw as the role of the
art educator--to make our students more informed consumers (viewers),
since very few would ever continue to make art.

Maggie**remove x in address to reply

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]