Re: Messed up in the middle

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:45:53 -0700

mary bolyard wrote:

> Hi all,
> Many have come up with good suggestions when a kid makes a mistake (or
> thinks she has). But here lies the challenge in the middle school sector
> when the comment can be heard "this sucks". The middle school child can
> provide addtional challenges. I try many of the things you all have
> suggested and make many positive comments. There are times when I get a
> stubborn student and feel I'm at a dead end. I tell her/him to make a
> decision and move on. Are there any other suggestions for the kids in
> the middle who "mess up"?

Hi, Mary,

I get the same thing at the HS level. Much of this is solved by giving
each student a 12 x 18 sheet of manila paper on which to work on
thumbnail sketches. They have to work out their subject matter,
composition, and rendering techniques before going to the "good" paper
(which is actually just cheap white drawing paper from the district
warehouse, but I make it sound like really good stuff!) Doing the same
thing in sketchbooks helps, too. And I always remind them that I buy
special paper--it has TWO sides!

Hope this helps.

Maggie**remove x in address to reply