Re: Impressionism : answer back on lady impressionists

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Larry Cox (l_j_cox)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 21:52:37 -0700

Mary Cassatt was one of the forerunners of Impressionism...She was an
American, born in Philadelphia in 1844-1926...Despite family opposition, she
entered the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in 1861, one of the first to
admit women...She went to Paris to further her training. Between 1874-1877
her work was exhibited in the Paris Salon...Edgar Degas (a French
Impressionist who was famous for his Ballet Dancers and Horses) was so
struck by her artistry that he asked her to join his circle of
Impressionists...which included Courbet and Manet among others...By 1890 she
was ranked as one of the foremost painters in Paris...Another female
Impressionist was Berthe Morisot(1841 - 1895) Her subjects, like Mary
Cassatt's, were often women in domestic settings. Born in Bourges, France,
she and her family moved to Paris where she and her sister were encouraged
to study art. They studied at the Louvre and in 1860 began lessons with
Corot. From her 1864 debut at the Paris Salon, Morisot exhibited there (it
was a big deal to get in the Salon), for ten years, until she joined the
Impressionists Claude Monet, amille Pissarro(considered the father of French
Impressionism), and Edouard Manet. In 1874 she married Manet's brother
Eugene and their home became a center for artists and intellectuals.
I hope that helps some...Linda