Re: Adinkra/and saying Thanks

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:24:26 -0400

I think perhaps saying thank you should be a part of every letter. I did
take the time to figure out how to mask and paste and then send it out
to you after asking for it. All I got back was a rude comment. Look
below.As an Example to your students,please don't forget to say "Thank
You" to the people that help you whether that be another teacher,
artist,child parent or volunteer.
Wanted to tell you that we did use "Art from many Hands" as part of our
resource books. I think it's fine to take and use as you like. If you
look at other fabric from different parts of Africa you can see
traditional clothes with many colors. This does depend on region,culture
and material available. Adinkra cloth is ceremonial and each symbol
has a different meaning.
Look up-
"Into Indigo"by Claire Polakoff
"Ancient and Living Culture Series;West Africa:Ghana" By:Goodyear books
"West African Cloth,Denver Art Museum of Natural History",By:Kate P.
Kent
Into Indigo-
This book includes Adinkra cloth of Ghana,it has other colors listed
besides brown. Black, Brown, yellow,red,vermillion.

>From an article in the Ghana Newa,entitled "Making an "Adinkrah" Cloth",
suggested other possible origins,one theory being that in ancient Ghana
the kings of Ashanti, Denkyira, and Tekyiman wore adinkra which their
guild of designers were the first to design. Another possibility was
that King Adinkra actually wore Adinkra cloth during a battle in which
he lost his life,and the cloth was taken as a trophy after he was slain.
"Adwinkena" means the art of designing cloth,and the term "adinkra" is
thought to be a corruption of that word.
The "adinkra" designs were originally used to decorate funerary
cloths,but such cloths are now used for many different occasions.
Your welcome regardless, However in the future if you ask someone for
something ,remember they are sharing with you something they have.I
think putting them down is not the way to go. Also we never made place
mats. We made long banners out of cloth. We also made large sheets
they could take home and do what they wanted with. after all I think the
product is not more important than the process. If one child even
remembers a little of the culture or History you may have taught them
what does it matter what sort of project they did.

It also seems people are stuck with the idea that "Africa" is a place
that Tarzan Lives and hasn't modernized since Hollywood has gotten
hold of it.

Sandra