School Boards

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 07:05:57 -0500

Our school district is going through a process to bring in more
community involvement. A group (made up of art groups (museum, cultural
affairs, community theater, symphony, ballet), local artist, teachers
(classroom, and art), other school personal (including one board
member), parents, and community members) is working together to increase
art in ourdistrict. We have found some great research. A couple of
teachers already working to infuse their whole curriculum with art.
We've had a symposium (that included people
from Getty). We are going to spend this summer designing a campaign to
encourage the school board to increase funding for all arts.
We are looking for different ideas on ways to present this type of
information? One suggestion has been that we give each member of the
board a bag containing the supplies that can be bought per child with
the amount of money budgeted. We are also going to include ideas about
grants (the district just hired a grant writer) that the school district
or the school district + community groups can go after. Any suggestions?

Kimberly Herbert