Art Student Teachers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sheri A. Woodard (swoodard.us)
Thu, 09 Apr 1998 17:12:04 +0000

> > Date sent: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 16:55:02 +0000
> > From: "Sheri A. Woodard" <swoodard.us>
> > Send reply to: swoodard.us
> > To: artsednet.edu
> > Subject: Art Student Teaching
>
> > Hello fellow educators,
> > I am concerned about an issue, and I am wondering if this is going on
> > across the board for all universities that are preparing students to
> > become art teachers. In the fall I have agreed to work with a student
> > teacher from a nearby university. At this university the art student
> > teachers only work in an art setting for 5 weeks and then are placed
> > in a regular education classroom for 10 weeks. The university feels
> > that these students will most likely lose their jobs as art teachers
> > and it is important for them to be trained for both arenas. I could
> > go on about my feelings on this issue, but I would love to hear some
> > reactions to this issue. I hope that any of you that are involved
> > with the training of future teachers would respond and explain your
> > programs.
> >
> > Thank you for reading my message.
> > Sheri Woodard
> >
> swoodard.us

I wrote this message a couple of days ago. So far I have heard from a
few people. (Thank you!) I would like to hear a few more
view of the situation. I want to prepare a explanation to the
university as to why 5 weeks in an art classroom setting does or does
not properly prepare someone to become an art educator.