Re: criticism in the artroom

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mariel and James Montgomery (jammari)
Thu, 09 Apr 1998 00:59:42 -0500

flor valdez-martinez wrote:

> I believe that children should learn to critic at an early age. It allows
> them to learn problem solving skills. For example, my daughter who is
> mildly retared has a hard time learning at school, so I decided to have
> her draw, paint, ect. as a sort of therapy(if I can call it that) at home.
> Every time she finshes an art project we sort of have a mini critique. We
> talk about the colors she chose, the shapes, lines, ect.,and ways that she
> can improve it. I believe that using her artwork as a way to problem solve,
> has helped her in her core classes as well. Her reading, math, and
> science grades have gone up since we started doing this. Her outlook on
> life is a lot more positive then it was before.

I think that criticism in the art room is important for young students.
If a student learns how to express WHY they like something or WHAT in
particular that they liked in a piece of artwork, they will learn how to
express the reasonings behind their thoughts and feelings. Teaching
children different art terms at an early age builds their vocabulary and
will aid in the process of teaching them how to express themselves
verbally as well as visually.