Re: Plaster mask project

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
freckles spots (freckles_spot)
Wed, 08 Apr 1998 14:01:27 PDT

Judy..

----Original Message Follows----
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 06:31:22 -0500
To: DaynaB62 <DaynaB62>, artsednet.edu
From: "Lauretta A. Hendricks-Backus" <lhb.edu>
Subject: Re: Plaster mask project

>YOU WROTE:
>Has anyone used the plaster-impregnated strips...... and can advise me
about
>the media?? I want to do a simple mask project with 6th graders. It
has
been
>a long-standing art tradition in my school to do this with 6th, so I
hate to
>disappoint. I've heard you can put vaseline on their faces,,, or
plastic
wrap
>(with holes cut for nose)... How long does this need to dry on their
faces,
>and how many layers are needed? I don't think I want to mache' over
it,,,,
>just paint. I have 90 students and 2 20- pound boxes of strips. Does
this
>sound like enough material???

Dayna

Ugh! I did this just last month. I suggest you do a trial one on your
own
with a volunteer so you can work out any kinks. We vaseline
faces(heavily)
and bandannaed hair back and only covering eyes mouths and noses of
those
who could handle it. Even then I had one kid freak out who could not
stand
the claustrophobia of it. You have to lay still for at least 20 min
before
they get hard enough to remove with out distorting the shape. Really
try a
prototype first it will illiminate any surprises.

retta hb