Re:legit/art integrated in studies.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Wed, 08 Apr 1998 14:42:56 -0400

Congratulations,
I know what it is like to move from room to room. I have taught Art on
and off for about 15 years. I have never had an art room except when I
was working at a museum. Even then I was a lowly assistant to a teacher
who was not an artist but had teaching credentials so could teach Art.
Go figure that.Most of the places I've worked have been in private
school(a parochial not a wealthy private school) They generally had
music but art was always left up to their regular teacher. most of the
teachers seemed uninterested or intimidated by art and passed it on to
their students. We never had money for it so I always purchased or found
donated supplies myself. It is rewarding but I wish the government or
the public would see the value of the Arts in school. It has been proven
that a child's I.Q. will go up if they take music early on.How classical
music improves concentration. It does seem that the decline of
civilization has coincided with the removal of everything creative in
the school system. We need to give kids pleasure and self-confidence
as well as teaching them how to read and write. Problem solving can be
achieved through the exploration of art as well. I do believe that
making art integrate with studies is a valuable lesson for all.
I know some of you have been talking about social studies etc. being
integrated with art. I agree. History should also integrate art history
in the curriculum.

Anyway congratulations.You should be thrilled.As for the sink
I didn't have that either. I always had a plastic tub filled with soapy
water I used for younger kids to wash off hands in, so they wouldn't
leave the classroom.The older kids seemed to have sinks(Go figure)
astroboy

Lynda Brothers Matthew wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I just have to share my euphoria. I have been trying for many months to get
> my school to buy videos and other supportive stuff for my art classes. Up
> until now I have been buying everything I needed except paper and crayons,
> etc. out of my own pocket. EVERYTHING seemed to get lost on the desk of the
> principal. But I just found that the office ordered more than $3000 worth
> of videos and art related stuff that I had earmarked in several catalogues.
> Plus I had the coordinator come to me and tell me that
> they again needed me to rove because they needed my room for testing, and I
(I still don't have a sink or water, but I'm working on a