art student teaching

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
phyllis fleury (pf43547)
Tue, 07 Apr 1998 18:06:26 -0600 (CST)

> Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 16:55:02 +0000
> From: "Sheri A. Woodard" <swoodard.us>
> Subject: Art Student Teaching
>
> Hello fellow educators,
> I am concerned about an issue, and I am wondering if this is going on
> across the board for all universities that are preparing students to
> become art teachers. In the fall I have agreed to work with a student
> teacher from a nearby university. At this university the art student
> teachers only work in an art setting for 5 weeks and then are placed
> in a regular education classroom for 10 weeks. The university feels
> that these students will most likely lose their jobs as art teachers
> and it is important for them to be trained for both arenas. I could
> go on about my feelings on this issue, but I would love to hear some
> reactions to this issue. I hope that any of you that are involved
> with the training of future teachers would respond and explain your
> programs.
>
> Thank you for reading my message.
> Sheri Woodard
> swoodard.

I would like to reply to the above discussion about a student teacher being
put in other classrooms besides the art department. I am an art student,
and I believe that as a student I need all the experience and learning that
is out there from everyone available and willing to let me know how to
become a good teacher. Incorporating ideas from other teachers not in the
field of art will give a person a more rounded education, and quite
possibly make for a better teacher. I think that in some areas, it is
quite possible that the art department may be closed in certain school
systems, and gaining other insights into how to teach other things is a
good idea.

Phyllis pf43547