Re: second revision of files/themes today C:

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
bkingman
Mon, 06 Apr 1998 21:02:01 EDT

Kathy,

I also teach in a Catholic school. I wonder if there are many other
Catholic school teachers out there? Holiday themes are not promoted at
my school, either, but we do have a visit from Santa Claus at
Christmastime.
Holly

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998 05:49:44 EST MaloneyMK <MaloneyMK> writes:
>Hi Bob,
>
>As for holidays... aka "Holy Days".... I work for Catholic schools
>where,
>contrary to what people outside of them might think, the holiday
>themes aren't
>promoted unless it's done in a way that's liturgically correct.
>There's no
>Santa Claus visiting school at Christmas time... no poinsettas...etc.
>etc.
>Easter brings no bunnies... it's a sober, contemplative time. St.
>Patrick's
>Day IS a big one though- with elves and leprachaun traps and green
>rolling
>hillsides to think about.
>
> The thing about subject matter to me is that it's all in the
>handling. Kids
>are more enamored of the seasons than many adults... they love the
>holidays
>so if a teacher wants the students' interest it isn't all bad to have
>some
>seasonal/holiday focus. The secular celebration of "Holy Days" is
>haphazard
>in the US. The cultural traditions of every country I know of include
>lots of
>celebration oriented artwork.
>
>The more cerebral and emotional concerns of contemporary art seem to
>attempt
>to detach art from society... and reinforce philosophical distance
>from our
>ancestry and from the "old" locus of religion. Of course in public
>schools
>it's illegal to be overtly concerned with the history of most
>holidays...
>because religion is there. Such a big no-no.
>
>Kathy

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]