Re: Scratch Art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jane Shiflett Manner (jmanner)
Sun, 05 Apr 1998 17:34:56 -0400

At 01:39 PM 4/5/98, you wrote:
(Scratch Art): I've used animals,
>portraits, landscapes, abstract...Any ideas for 5th grade? I haven't used
>this for awhile, have a good supply of it and want to explore it further.
> Another useful hint a colleague shared with me is laminating the work,
>if possible, when it is done to protect it. Otherwise, the work gains extra
>"etches" when it's displayed.
>
>Thanks for responding!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Anne C-H in the Illinois cornfields

Anne C-H and others,

Have you considered studying Miro as you begin? The brilliant colors of
the technique with wax crayons and tempera as well as the prepared colored
"Scratch Art" paper would work well if students were pursuing work in the
style of Miro. There are a range of paintings the students could study and
use as inspiration, some more surreal and symbolic than others. (My
students love the surreal!) Some suggested works:

Portrait of E.C. Ricart
The Path, Ciurana
The Harlequin's Carnival
Dog Barking at the Moon
Personages, Mountains, Star and Bird
Still Life with Old Shoe
Head of a Woman
Woman in Front of the Sun
Woman Encircled by the Flight of a Bird
the various "Series" and "Composition" paintings