Re: multicultural art project

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
freckles spots (freckles_spot)
Thu, 02 Apr 1998 06:40:23 PST

What a wonderful way for children to share their own cultures and for
other students to learn from it. Thank you for sharing.

Judy
Oklahoma....where the wind is REALLY coming down the plains

----Original Message Follows----
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 17:26:34 -1000
To: artsednet.edu
From: David Zimmerman <fastedy>
Subject: multicultural art project

Two summers ago I did a lesson on international foods with clay. I sent
questionaire home with each of my 80 students asking parents to sit with
their children and fill it out. I asked for an ethinic food which had
been
handed down in their family. I asked questions about when the food was
served, the ingredients and special stories about times when they'd had
it
or the person whose recipe it was. (Everyone came up with something
after a
little prodding. One child who claimed no ethnic heritage in spite of
family discussion decided that turkey and mashed potatoes was their
family's special dish because it was always made for special events like
holidays and birthdays!)

We eventually made the foods out of clay and created a special serving
plate to put it on. There was a lot of dialogue between the students
while they worked. This sharing interchange between kids was wonderful.
We
learned a lot about foods, various cultures and about each other.

At the end of our summer program, I featured the foods on a long banquet
table with a nice table cloth, candles and flowers. Foods were grouped
by
country and if a story or special information had been submitted, I
placed
it next to the dish. I even convinced a few parents to make some of the
dishes for us to try. The display was a big hit and I learned that
there
is a lot of cultural diversity right in our own backyard (even in a
mostly
white suburban school).

Deb Rosenbaum