Re: What Do Teachers Do In The Summer?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Thu, 02 Apr 1998 06:12:52 -0800

rgibas wrote:

> Dear ArtsEdNetters,
>
> As a prospective teacher, I have been
> examining beginning teacher salaries and wondering
> how I'm going to make it. I remind myself that
> there is a whole summer's worth of employment out
> there, but I'd rather not work at Wal-Mart. What
> do teachers do for money in the summer? What are
> the options/opportunities? I'd really appreciate
> any feedback as I am feeling some stress about my
> financial future. Who better to ask? Thanks.
>
> -Rachel
>
> Rachel A. Gibas
> Art Ed. Pre-Intern
> University of Florida
> rgibas

Hi

Even today I have money taken out of my salary by the teachers' credit
union equivalent to pay over the summer, so that I am making "forced
savings". This summer I am working for a local theater as a costumer
designer/seamstress, and although it doesn't pay much, it is still
$3,000. Summer jobs are always scarce, but you can find art related/or
teaching related jobs.(Summer school, art camps). I preferred those
over the years because I felt they made me a better "reader" of kids in
the long run. I would always be wary of taking jobs that I would be
working "along with" or "under" students that I could be teaching...i.e.
supermarket, retail jobs. I felt it would blurr the line when I got back
into the classroom. I also felt it would somehow "diminish" my stature
as a teacher in the community if they saw me folding jeans at the GAP.

San D