Re: Classroom Critiques

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jane Shiflett Manner (jmanner)
Wed, 01 Apr 1998 07:00:44 -0500

>Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 22:09:36 -0500
>To: lhurdle <lhurdle>
>
>At 04:27 PM 3/30/98 +0000, you wrote:
>>I have started to question the value of critiques in the classrrom and
>>I am curious to know how others feel about this. If by chance you use
>>use this type of evaluation, how do you get all of the students
>>involved?
>
>I teach high school and use critiques at all levels. In the beginning the
students learn first to write art criticism about historically important
work and become familiar with the vocabulary of art. The critiquing of
student work just evolves from that. We always look at work in progress.
Presentations may be given after a work is finished, but critique is used
to give and garner information for growth as work is being done. I am very
careful to make certain that what goes on is dialogue. By the time the
students are in second year they know that midpoint in each project they
will have to put their work out and explain motivation, concept, and
process. Everyone has the opportunity to question each artist about all of
those points, though not all do. Everyone, however, does wind up fielding
questions about thier own work. They have the right to disagree with each
other and with me. They may not be dissagreeable. (I hope that's a word!)
I don't just supervise. I actively participate by asking for clarification
and soliciting comments from students who may have differing opinions. I
am frank, more so with students who have participated in the program
longer, and so are the students.

>I do not grade work until it has hung in my room for at least a week.
There are two map strips all around the room, one at ceiling level and
another 3 feet down. There are also masonry nails and bulletin boards and
tables for display. During this time, as part of the natural ebb and flow
of conversation, critique happens naturally. The students may take a piece
down and work on it during this time. Many take them home and bring them
back reworked. I think this "hanging time" has helped the students feel
that each success is a success for them all, so they nudge each other to go
the extra step to make work really good. Beginning something else is often
a good way to put another piece in the back of the mind where if there is a
better solution it can be intuitively found rather than stressed over.