Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.
Here are some quotes from one of my favorite artists, M.C. Escher:
1. Drawing is deception.
2. Isn't it fascinating to realize that no image, no form, not even a
shade or color, "exists"on its own; that among everhting that's visually
observable we can refer only to relationships and to contrasts?
3. Allow me to say that Father Bach has been a strong inspiration to me,
and that many a print reached definite form in my mind while I was listening
to the lucid, logical language he speaks.
4. I try in my prints to testify that we live in a beautiful and orderly
world, and not in a formless chaos, as it sometimes seems.
5. The urge toward simplification and order keeps us going and inspires us
in the midst of chaos. Chaos is the beginning; simplicity is the end.
6. Talent and all that are really for the most part just baloney. Any
schoolboy with a little aptitude can perhaps draw better than I; but what he
lacks in most cases is that tenacious desire to make it reality, that
obstinate gnashing of teeth and saying, "Although I know it can't be done, I
want to do it anyway."
Please share with us any quotes that are not sent to the list.