Re: Ask for Help

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Aileen Maconi (aileen.maconi)
Sun, 27 Apr 1997 10:01:45 -0400

Mtrixm wrote:

> Hello Everyone!
>
> I agree with Carmen, and often times I too am unsure of what to do...
>
> I am a first year teacher who is in Complete Favor of the DBAE view of
> teaching art; students not only learn to produce and express through the
> creation of artwork, they are also learning much more beyond! I feel this is
> Exciting and Interesting to the students!
>
> My dilemma is this: I teach K-6, with class periods of approx. 45 min... even
> if I allow
> two class periods for a given lesson, I find it difficult to implement the
> Art Criticism into my lessons. WHAT are some possibilities for Art Criticism
> for students this young? I guess I'm confused on how to implement the
> Criticism aspect to youngsters at this level.
> Critiques?...Discussions?...I'm not sure what is effective?
>
> I truly believe that all four aspects are valuable in DBAE!!!! Please send
> any suggestions you may have!!!
>
> Very Sincerely,
> Confused in Wisconsin

Probably the easiest way to to cover the disciplines is to weave them
into the production period. I find that one or two disciplines will be
the main emphasis of a lesson and that the others are not stressed as
highly although they are touched upon. In the next lesson I might now
stress those disciplines...etc.

As for art crit for younger students. Kid need to get up and move about
every 20 to 30 min. This helps them to stay energized and focused. Why
not use this stretch as a "walk about". It could be to music of the
culture you are using in the lesson. Talk as they move about from one
student art project to next. Talk about the aesthetics of the work they
are doing.

Or, make the walk about a musical chair game. When the music stops they
must crit the project in front of them. Since time is limited have a
prepared form and the student must write answer to one or two crit
questions. There could be several dif questionaires so that all the
areas you want to cover in the crit are, then these sheets can be posted

Use of videos are good to bring in discussions, make up "find it" games.
Break kids into teams. How about doing a series of one day production
lessons that revolve around a theme. At end of series have one class
devoted to critique.

The main thing I think is to narrow the critique to those aspects you
want the kids to understand.

Aileen