Re: Coloring Books

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Melissa Enderle (Melissaenderle)
Sat, 26 Apr 97 21:57:48 -0500

On April 26, Numo Jaeger wrote:
>I visited a high school art teacher this past Monday who gave out "coloring
>book" pages as homework assignments.
>
>They are not your typical coloring books though. These are the Anti-Coloring
>Books by Susan Striker. Have you seen this series?
>
>I liked the idea. It invites the students who will not draw anything to take
>a chance and create the rest of an already started piece. It spurs interest
>in seeing how the original artist completed the work. It keeps them drawing
>at home.
>
>The pages are like prompts not coloring in the lines. I think these books
>promote creative thinking with out excessive pressure for excellent drawing
>that inhibit some high school students.
>
>What are your opinions on this?

I personally like the series. There are anti-coloring books topics
ranging from science to an entire on on famous art masterpieces. I have
some available for kids to do after they are done with their assignment
or perhaps when I have a sub. For some kids, the posed question or
partial image is just enough to go beyond the "blank paper syndrome" and
create something. It is an obvious benefit for kids with low
self-confidence. I'll never forget one of my first grader's response to
the question "What will you look like 20 years from now?" Within the oval
shape of the predrawn mirror, she drew herself, complete with glasses,
gray hair, a few missing teeth and a sweater. Above the image, she
wrote"A Grama".
I have also seen the anti-coloring sheets used in art therapy sessions
or at the beginning of the school year as a way of getting to know the
student (and others) better. For example, one has an outline of a star
and asks yourself to give yourself an award. What are you good at? How
can I portray that? Thus, the sheets give kids a stimulus and basis for
expressing themselves.

Melissa Enderle
Melissaenderle