Re: public sculpture

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla harwitt (charwitt.us)
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 19:16:11 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Pam, Just a quick message. Did anyone tell you about the controversy
over a large piece of public sculpture in front of NYC's federal building
near Wall Stree about 15 years ago? I've forgotten who the artist was but
the work was basically a red metal arc, about 6 feel high, that ran from
the front of the building almost to the street, cutting a high-traffic and
eye-soothing space (the Wall Street area is so crowded that any large
empty expanse is a visual relief) in half. People had to go 20 or 30 feet
out of their way and through a small space that acted like a bottleneck to
cross the very busy area (a whole bunch of courthouses are in that area).
In the winter with snow and ice, that's no joke. I don't know if it was
ultimately removed or not.
--Carla in LA