Re: I need help

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Aileen Maconi (aileen.maconi)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 08:16:22 -0400

jassen ceci wrote:

> I have to do a lesson on different culture, and I have done
> African art. I would like to do some Latin American art,but it has to
> included some visual project, and a game. I have no ideas, the only
> thing I can think of is string designs. It could be with any age
> group,but I perfer elemantary school level.
> HELP!
> --
> MZ

Oaxacan Masks
I recently did a lesson based on Oaxacan woodcarvings. It was actually a
unit designed for 8th grade but could easily be adapted to a higher or
lower grade level and you could do a one two or three day lesson out of
it if you don't want to have an extended project.

First we looked at some examples of Oaxacan animal woodcarvings form the
book:Oaxacan Woodcarvings: The Magic In The Trees by Shepard Barbash.
There is also an audio-visual program available by Crizamac called
Oaxaca Valley of Myth and Magic. After looking at examples the class
discussed what folk art is; the Mexican culture; and art elements like
pattern, contrast, and papier-mache, (we eventually made papier-mache
animal head masks...you could do them out of poster board which the kids
could paint the patterns on or use coloured construction paper cut outs
for their patterns and glue them on.)

The first step was to do 4-5 thumbnails of different animals. Once one
was picked, the kids then did 3 to 4 sketches of pattern ideas, each
with three colours and repeating shapes. Once this is complete you can
have the kids design and cut out their animal masks...(make them as 3-d
as the childrens' ability and your equipment allows), paint or paste on
their pattern. To complete the project the kids can have a parade
wearing them as would happen during festival parades in Mexico.

Aileen