Re: Team concept

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
BSS (rekcets)
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 05:59:23 -0700

VSBORGAN wrote:

> Ellyn and the rest of us,
>
> Ellyn's complaint is all too common! Art and Music are "Relief time" for
> the "real teachers". I know, the way in which we perceive OURSELVES can go a
> long ways towards increasing credibility and visibility. but a basic
> scheduling dilemna exists in public schools across America.
>
> Is there a school district that has made the needs of students' arts
> experiences as important (or even more important!) than planning time for
> classroom teachers?
>
> Please share it with us!!
>
> Vera in Springfield, MA

Recently I visited a school in Vancouver, Washington. The Vancouver
School of Arts and Academics includes students from 6th to 12th grade..
I was very impressed and wished I could teach there. Academics are
taught in a morning block. Visual art, music, dance, theater and film
are offered in the afternoon. Each student chooses to attend this
school because they have an interest in the arts. Discipline problems
are rare, sports program is a wellness program and each student must
take at least an intro class in each of the arts (dance, theater, visual
and music).All teachers have planning time together on Monday afternoons
while local artists, etc. are brought in to teach workshops during the
planning sessions. The students seemed very engaged in school and they
looked happy!
There's hope!

Anne Stecker
Salem, Oregon