Re: Rulers - more than just for spinning or hitting?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Chaney (lchaney)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 20:58:25 -0500

Melissa Enderle wrote:

> I have a question for you all. I have noticed that kids, regardless of
> age, do not know how to use the ruler. I found this to be the case even
> when I was student teaching at the high school level. The kids don't seem
> to have a clue of where the markings are (especially 1/2, 1/4, etc.) and
> often want to start at the "1" and not at the end of the ruler at "0".
> The regular 6th grade teachers were glad that I made the students measure
> and draw lines accurately. For some, even some of my "good" students, it
> was torture.
> Have any of you noticed this? Has ruler skills drifted away as a lost
> art? What do you do when projects require a ruler (besides reminding
> students that they aren't for spinning on a pencil or for hitting)??
>
> Melissa Enderle
> Melissaenderle

I give students a straight edge made of posterboard when I can. When
measuring is involved, I pass out the rulers and cringe. I buy the
cheap $.33 ones every year. They are plastic. If students bend the
metal ones they don't seem to bend back into shape later. The plastic,
cheap ones are flimsy. It seems like I threaten also!!!

Mel Chaney