RE: 6th grade behaviors

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
DEBBI CRANE (craned)
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 21:33:29 -0500

The joy of the sixth grade! I know it well. this is my second =
year teaching art in a small rural elementary school. Last year, the =
fifth grade was a terrific art class - so interested in talking about =
and making art, while the sixth grade could have been the class you =
described. I told myself it was because I was a new teacher in their =
school and the whole song and dance, in anticiapation of how wonderful =
it would be when these noisysixth graders were off at junior high and =
the beloved fifth grade would be sixth
graders. Rude awakening. My dear lovely motivated fifth graders =
changed over the summer. Guess what they became...
SIXTH GRADERS!---
I have consulted with the principal and the classroom teacher, both =
of whom have been in education for many years, and they assure me it's =
just a common phase and not to take it personally.
I have discussed my disappointment openly with the students and they =
offer no explanation for their change, but they do see it, too.
One day, they noise level was so high and they were so determined to =
keep it that way, that we sat witht he lights out and heads on the desks =
for the last 45 min of our one hour class in total silence. I'm usually =
not so tough, but I will say that this got their attention. The =
classroom teacher has a standing arrangement for art discipline trouble. =
If a student cannot behave, I send them upstairs to their classroom =
where they sit in silence and copy a hideously long sentence from th =
blackboard.
=20
dc
-------