Re: truancy

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teresa Tipton (ttipton.wa.us)
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 19:40:50 -0700 (PDT)

There was a state case where a student who was given a bad grade for not
attending class, sued the teacher. His position was that attending school
did not have anything to do with his grade because he was able to
demonstrate the learning without attending class. He won his case. It has
sent ripples through the educational system ever since so that this
administrator maybe taking their cues from this. We've gotten around it by
requiring "participation" instead of "attendance." That way, if you aren't
there, you can't participate. It's a round-about way of requiring it
without being direct.

Teresa Tipton